User name with spaces and Cygwin web site suggestion

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan@iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 5 05:18:00 GMT 2004

Rodrigo de Salvo Braz wrote:
> id -un, as it is the case with ssh. Did I miss something or renaming the
> account really doesn't do anything to solve the problem?

Did you rename the actual account using the Management Console (Control
Panel->Administrative Accounts->Computer Management), or did you change the user
name in User Accounts (Control Panel->User Accounts)?

The latter doesn't actually rename the account itself - it merely adds a "Full
Name" setting which is displayed by the Windows GUI instead of the actual
account name.

Things like the location of your home directory will still be governed by the
actual user name.

I'm pretty sure the Management Console will "do the right thing" and actually
change the account name properly, but I haven't tested it myself, as I'd prefer
not to break anything (like, oh, say, Mozilla Foundation apps like Firefox and
Thunderbird that don't use relative paths in their preference files) ;)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncoghlan@email.com   |   Brisbane, Australia