cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines.

Kate Ebneter kebneter@apple.com
Mon Aug 30 23:35:00 GMT 2004

On Aug 30, 2004, at 9:20 AM, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

> Huh? I don't even own a single dog, just a WinME.
> It has crossed my mind that the fork bug has something to do with
> the hyperthreaded machine problem, and even that it might well be
> the last bug in Cygwin.
> Processor affinity not helping is consistent with the fork bug.

Interesting: The problem we see/saw was that when make attempted to run
the compiler, the command string would not get passed along, causing
the compiler to not unreasonably complain loudly about the lack of a
command line. We verified that make was correctly generating the
command line, and that the error occurred somewhere in the fork that
launched the compiler. Unfortunately, of course, we could not
consistently reproduce the problem. (Although, typically of such
things, it always became much, much worse whenever we were pushing for
a release.)

FWIW,
Kate Ebneter
iPod Build Engineer