BUG gcc-mingw 20040810-1 library search path

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Mon Aug 30 14:14:00 GMT 2004

sengtsongpa-cygwin001@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> escribió:
>> Hallo sengtsongpa-cygwin001,
>>
>> Am Sonntag, 29. August 2004 um 17:20 schriebst du:
>>
>>> In previous versions of the mingw backend
>> distributed
>>> with Cygwin's gcc port, the frontend drivers would
>>> append both /usr/include/lib/mingw *and*
>>> /usr/lib/w32api to the linker's path. This happens
>> no
>>> more with the latter.
>>
>> Simple testcase please.  What is the actual search
>> path?
>> What was the link command?  More details, please.
>>

> Here is a compelling case on practical grounds:
>
> 1. Grab a copy of Cygwin Setup sources from CVS (the
> stable source bundle idstributed with the net
> installer will do equally well). You need a copy of
> libgetopt++ from a parallel directory.
>
> 2. Bootstrap and configure:
>
> bash-2.05b-$ ./configure CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" CXX="g++
> -mno-cygwin" --target=mingw32 --build=mingw32
>
> 3. Watch the build belly up at the linking stage:

I wonder if you have perhaps installed the 20040810 mingw additional files
for 3.4.1, but are still using the main 3.3.3 release?

If not, your system is bizarre, because when I attempt to reproduce what you
say above, the build never reaches the linking stage - having hit numerous
errors first due to stricter behaviours in gcc 3.4.

Sidenote to Gerrit:
Perhaps the gcc-mingw-* version numbers should look like 3.4.1_20040810-1 -
it might avoid some confusion. Or is there a reason not to use just 3.4.1-1
?

Max.