Postgres 7.4.5-1 postmaster service fails to start after XP SP2 installed

Andy Carroll andy_carroll@hotmail.com
Mon Aug 30 05:30:00 GMT 2004

G'Day all,

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 2 the postgres postmaster service
no longer starts, reporting "The following information is part of the event:
postmaster : PID 2252 : starting service `postmaster' failed: execv: 1,
Operation not permitted." in the event log.

The other cygwin services "CYGWIN cygserver" and "Cygwin IPC Daemon 2" both
start just fine. The event log shows that the postmaster service had started
up correctly following each restart, until I updated to XP SP2 late last
night.

I tried re-installing cygwin - cygwin DLL now reports as version 1.5.10-3,
postgresql as 7.4.5-1 - (see attached cygcheck output) I'm not sure what
versions were installed prior to reinstalling - but they were only a few
months old.

I have tried uninstalling SP2, but the problem persists. I'm guessing that
installing SP2 modified a permission on either a postgres file or directory,
or modified the permissions on the postgres account underwhich the Windows
service runs, and that this change to permissions remains in place even
after un-installing SP2.

Can anyone explain what the error message "execv 1, Operation not permitted"
error means. I'm guessing it simply means the cygrunsrv executable could not
exec a child process

As I mentioned the postgres service had been working just fine, until last
night when I installed SP2

Anyone got any suggestions for diagnosing this further??

Cheers.

- Andy Carroll