Package READMEs online? (Was Re: How to install an update of the library GMP in cygwin?)

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Sat Aug 28 21:44:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski schrieb:
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>>[snip]
>>Until then, I have a version online at
>>my site, this works and was the base of the actual port done by the
>>maintainer:
>>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/cygwin-1.5/gmp/
>>
>>To build from source with my patch, be sure to read the README:
>>http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/cygwin-1.5/gmp/README
>
> Hey, this is a really good idea.  Would it be much of a chore to make the
> package READMEs available on the Cygwin package search page, along with
> the contents?  I'm mostly asking whether it'll create a space problem of
> some sort, and whether the script that builds the package list files for
> package-cat.cgi and package-grep.cgi could be made to also extract the
> READMEs from the packages and link to them online.  FWIW, I couldn't find
> that script in sourceware CVS -- I assume it's somewhere under infra/.
> If someone points me to that script, I'm willing to give a shot to writing
> the README extraction code.

What about
$ egrep "search-regex" /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/*

Must everything be on the web?
Maybe, because Google will not pickup the cygwin README's then. And
people trust Google more than the content of their harddisc.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/