License

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Thu Aug 26 16:11:00 GMT 2004

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Giulio Ardoino wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > If you distribute a Cygwin DLL binary, you must also provide the
> > sources of the DLL.  It's not enough to point to the Cygwin web page.
> > For further details, see http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
>
> Thanks a lot Corinna.
> This means I'm allowed to distribute cygwin dll as long as I distribute
> it with sources, as I understand.
> Let's say I'm writing a commercial program that uses GNU zip under
> windows (and therefore must be distributed with cygwin dll), am I
> allowed to do this as long as I include cygwin and zip sources?

IANAL, but the GPL does talk about linking as separate from invoking the
programs using fork/exec.  In particular, the following two sections from
the GPL FAQ might be relevant:
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins> and
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLPluginsInNF>.
As always, please consult a real lawyer when there's any doubt as to the
interpretation of the terms of the license.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw