sshd privilege separation problem

Greg Morgan drkludge@cox.net
Thu Aug 26 06:14:00 GMT 2004

Colin JN Breame wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running sshd and it recently stopped working.  I'm not sure
> whether I did anything to it, but I've managed to track down the problem.
>
> If I use privilege separation (ssh-host-config), as soon as I type the
> password in, the message "Connection to localhost closed." is
> displayed.  However, if I don't use privilege separation, everything
> works as it should.  I've tried syncing the groups and passwd files with
> no success.
>
> This one is puzzling me; any ideas?

I experienced the same problem last Wednesday, 8/18.  I created a fresh
local mirror with the enhanced mkcygwget script.  I didn't try to
install sshd without using privilege separation.  I ran out of time.  I
did try various clean install options, removing my known hosts files,
etc.  I don't know if it matters but I did add one option to this
install. I added the NFS package to my normal full installation of all
packages.

I did find one oddity to what you report. I use scp daily.  The scp
function works correctly with privilege separation while I received the
"connection to localhost closed message" trying to ssh into the PC.

Greg