read command available?

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Wed Aug 18 16:57:00 GMT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, neal somos wrote:

> I literally cut and pasted a portion of Svend's post.
> The portion I thought I used was ...
> ------------------------
> ls | while read TEST
> do
>      echo $TEST
> done
> ------------------------
>
> I asked for 'ksh' and pasted.
> I was totally flabbergasted when I got the exact response Svend had
> posted.
> -----------------
> Is the read command somewhere available? Up to now I wasn't able to find
> it.
> -----------------
>
> I was intrigued and tried it again, but this time it worked properly
> producing the list of expected file names.
>
> And under sh and bash I would get the expected list of file names.
>
> That fact that it did not seem to reproduce on subsequent attempts is
> puzzling.  While such things are possible I begin to question my sanity
> when I have trouble finding what could have printed that message.
> Grepping through strings of everything in bin failed to reveal where
> this might have come from.
>
> Unfortunately I did one too many exits in the rxvt shell window, and
> cannot even go back to ensure I entered the commands I believe I
> entered.  All subsequent attempts have been well behaved.
>
> I fear that I may have been suffering from both caffeine and sleep
> insufficiency and cut and pasted too much.  For the sake of my sanity I
> hope that someone else can reproduce this.

Hmm, looks like you must have grabbed those lines when you copied...  I
just tried it, and got the expected file listing.  Go figure...
If someone *is* able to reproduce it, I'd be *very* interested in seeing a
simple testcase(tm).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw