BUG: 'cp -f ...' create a dir instead of a copy of a file!

Larry Hall lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com
Fri Aug 6 16:01:00 GMT 2004

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

>> At 07:23 AM 8/6/2004, you wrote:
>> >My actual revision Cygwin runs under
>> >Windows NT Ver 4.0 Build 1381 Service Pack 6
>> >shell: BASH 2.05b
>> >
>> >cp doesn't work correct
>> >if the destination file do not exist the result is what I expect
>> >
>> ># result if y.log do not exist
>> >$ cp -f x.log y.log
>> >$ ls
>> >-rw-rw-rw-    1 ???????? ????????           30 Aug  4 18:14 y.log
>> >
>> ># result if y.log already exist!
>> >$ cp -f x.log y.log
>> >cp: overwrite `y.log'? y
>> >cp: writing `y.log': Invalid request code
>> >$ ls
>> >drwxrwxrwx+   2 ???????? ????????            0 Aug  4 18:13 y.log/
>> >
>> ># this works fine
>> >$ cp --remove-destination x.log y.log
>>

>> Seems to me you 'cp' is not what you think.  The procedure you outlined
>> above works fine for me (on W2K).  Given that you're being prompted in
>> the overwrite case, I can only assume that your 'cp' is aliased to 'cp -i'
>> or something.  If that's the case, I'm wondering what else about the
>> command is not as expected in your environment.  If you're looking for
>> the "quick resolution", I suggest you add in the '-v' flag and see what
>> it tells you.  I would also get rid of any alias, cover script, or what-
>> have-you.  Running this all under 'strace' might give you some clue,
>> assuming you're running the Cygwin 'cp' (which is another good thing to
>> check).  If you're still having problems after all this, please visit,
>> read, and follow <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  This has guidelines
>> for required and requested info when reporting problems.  It's clear that
>> things on your system aren't entirely correct given the fact that none of
>> your files have owners and groups that can be displayed.  This could be
>> related to the problems you're having with 'cp'.
>>

>> --
>> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
>> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
>> 838 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>> Holliston, MA 01746
>>

>On my Win2k PC the command 'cp' works fine. It overwrigts the destination
>file correctly.
>But NOT on The WinNT 4.0 SP6 PC!!!
>
>I used 'strace -o cp2.log cp -f -v x.log y.log' for more information and
>found that cp will open an file named "y.log/x.log" (see attached log-file)
>not so in the Win2k.

So it does.  Strange.  Well, this may require some debugging on your part.
I'm not clear whether your system differences/configuration aren't
contributing/causing this problem.  In any case, at least for the moment,
I can't even try to reproduce the problem as I have no access to NT 4.
If I can remedy that, I'll try it myself.

Holliston, MA 01746