problems with configuring ksh (pdksh) in Cygwin and following problems with Linux cross-compilation there

Arturus Magi sailorleo@isonews2.com
Fri Aug 6 03:09:00 GMT 2004

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
{building of pdksh, modifying cygwin.bat}
>>: not foundrofile[2]:
>>: not foundrofile[8]:
>>: not foundrofile[11]:
>>: not foundrofile[14]:
>>: not foundrofile[17]:
>>: not foundrofile[20]:
>>: not foundrofile[23]:
>>: not foundrofile[26]:
>>: not foundrofile[30]:
>>: not foundrofile[36]:
>>ksh: /etc/profile[63]: syntax error: `done' unexpected
>

> Hmm, this is weird.  Do you have the default /etc/profile (as installed by
> the 'base-files' package), or did you customize yours?
>

>>$ ps -l
>>      PID    PPID    PGID     WINPID  TTY  UID    STIME COMMAND
>>     3852       1    3852       3852  con 91693 04:37:11 /usr/bin/ksh
>>      164    3852     164       2436  con 91693 04:37:22 /usr/bin/ps
>>
>>What do I need to do to get rid of ": not foundrofile" errors ?
>

> I suspect that the errors are actually '.......rofile[23]:^M:not found'
> (the ^M, or CR, is doing a carriage return).  It's possible that a
> bash-ism got into the default /etc/profile, or it may be a text/binary
> error.  I'll check it out if I can reproduce it.

9:1 that the text is 'ksh: /etc/profile[xx]: \n: not found', which does
sound like a lineend problem.

I ran into this once, when I modified /etc/profile with a text editor
that didn't understand Unix newlines without paying attention.  Assuming
that this is the cause, and that /etc is mounted binary, dos2unix should
fix it.