Problem starting sshd as a service

Andrew DeFaria Andrew@DeFaria.com
Thu Aug 5 14:43:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Have a look into the script, right at the end. chown is only called if
> sshd has been installed as service. Otherwise the script assumes that
> sshd is going to be run from some user account in a console window. In
> that case, chown'ing to system wouldn't make much sense.

But would it hurt to chown even if sshd is going to be run from some
user account in a console window? (Personally I find that assumption
odd. Does anybody run sshd from some user account in a console window?)
What would happen if things like /var/empty are always set to be owned
by SYSTEM?
--
If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he
still wrong?