mkpasswd -p option now adds username

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Apr 30 16:04:00 GMT 2004

At 09:42 AM 4/30/2004, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I have just down loaded the latest cygwin (1.5.9-1).
> I have a script to add users to the password file, the first time they
>bring up cygwin.
> The script is using the -p option of the mkpasswd to add their home to the
>passwd file. This
> did work fine but, in the latest cygwin, the users id is added to the end
>of the path that was specified. Why did this change?
> Our users home directory does not end with their user id.

Assuming you don't find a reason to recall this message again before you
get this, I suggest you read:

If you read through your message keeping in mind that people on this list
don't know anything about your system configuration or the details of your
script, I think it will become obvious to you that there is very little
content in what you've sent so far that's worth commenting on.  Since it's
the script that's telling 'mkpasswd' (via the -p flag) what the user's home
directory should be, that's apparently where the problem lies.  Or at least,
that's the extent to which it makes sense to comment.  So, I point you back
to the URL above.  A reconstruction of this posting with the pertinent
information would be more helpful, assuming you don't find the answer
yourself in the process.

Holliston, MA 01746