Wishlist additions for setup.exe

Dave Korn dk@artimi.com
Mon Apr 19 14:03:00 GMT 2004

  Deep disagreement, about setup.bz2 at any rate.  If you ever attempt to do
a setup with an out-of-date setup.bz2 file that doesn't reflect the true
reality of what's actually there at the mirror sites, the consequences could
be pretty damn awful.  It sounds to me like an idea that would save people
ten or twenty seconds every time they updated at the cost of losing an
entire afternoon every so often when it goes wrong and they end up having to
reinstall a trashed cygwin installation.  I think that's probably a fairly
marginal trade-off.  I can also see it generating absolutely *tons* of
support requests with *really* obscure and esoteric breakages being sent to
the list.

  Oh, and BTW, the traditional cygwin list response to a wishlist is just to
reply "PTC!" :)  BWAM!

    cheers,
      DaveK