zsh and line breaks

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Tue Apr 6 22:03:00 GMT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Apr  6 13:54, Dave Korn wrote:
> > >   case "$host" in
> > >   *-*-cygwin*)
> > >     LIBS="$LIBS /usr/lib/textreadmode.o";;
> > >   esac
> > >
> > > in configure.ac would do it then.
> >
> >   You could take it one step further: combine that with using the --wrap
> > option to ld
> >
> >    case "$host" in
> >    *-*-cygwin*)
> >      LIBS="$LIBS /usr/lib/textreadmode.o";;
> >      LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS --wrap _main"
> >    esac
> >
> > and textreadmode.o has a function __wrap_main that sets the textmode and
> > calls __real_main.  That way the entire cygwinization can be done in
> > configure and no need for #ifdefs anywhere.  OTOH it's a bit obscure
> > maintenance-wise.
>
> And what's the gain?  My above configure.ac snippet is everything needed
> so what's the additional -wrap for?

I'm with Corinna on this one.  The wrapper is unnecessary because the
linker pulls in the premain hook from the object file already.  The
wrapper method might be useful if you want to redirect control before
main is called on non-Cygwin systems, but for Cygwin, the premain hook
does the same kind of thing.

Oh, btw, I'm all for having a textreadmode.o object file available.  I
also think this, and the other *mode.o object files should be outlined in
the Cygwin porting guide :)

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>