Bogus assumption prevents d2u/u2d/conv/etal working on mixed files.

Mon Apr 5 04:33:00 GMT 2004

David Fritz wrote:
> You guys are missing the point.  Charles Wilson mentioned a side effect
> of the code at issue in the original post and suggested that it was
> valuable.

I think there is some misunderstanding about the cygutils package.  I
did not write any of it.(*)  I do not defend any of the design decisions
that were made by the original coders; it's no skin off my nose -- so
comments like "It should according to the thinking in this thread." fail
to move me -- except as a data point that GVanSickle really REALLY
dislikes the current behavior.<g>

(*) Well, maybe the hexdump program or the silly ascii chart, but it's
been so long I don't remember anymore.

The d2u/u2d progs were some code I thought, back in the dawn of time,
would be useful on the cygwin platform -- at least *I* had need of a
dos2unix converter all the time.  So I found the code, adapted it, and
put it in my "kit", which was called the "misc" package back then.

Now, I remember, when first porting the code for cygwin, wondering WHY
it did certain things certain ways -- especially the "check the first
line and bail out" stuff.  All I could figure, at the time, were the two
reasons I posted in this thread.

I never said I agree with those reasons -- personally, I hate 'rm -i'
and the like.  But *I am not willing* to unilaterally change behavior of
tools that may adversely affect users, without a damn good reason.
Unfortunately, "it offends a single user's sensibilities" -- even mine
-- doesn't quite rise to that level.

And THAT's why I asked for more discussion.  I'm getting the feeling
that a preponderance of users -- at least, the ones actually responding
to this thread -- dislike the current behavior, or at least wouldn't
mind a change away from the current Microsoft-Bob-like behavior.  I'd
like to see what some other users, who haven't yet stated their
opinions, have to say...

--
Chuck