strange install problems

Erik Weibust eweibust@yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 20:43:00 GMT 2004

FYI.  Problem solved!

Our NT_Services group here changed some "start-up"
scripts which were setting $HOMEDRIVE.  I just had to
re-map that drive and cygwin started up correctly.

I have a few questions.

1.  $HOMEDRIVE for me is on a network share is this
going to be a problem?

2.  Shouldn't cygwin use something like $My_Documents
as it's home?  This is mostly on a local drive for all
windows installs.

3.  Does cygwin not build a /home/$USERNAME dir/path
as part of it's install?  I did a complete install and
expected it.  Before I uninstalled my previous cygwin
install (which was installed a year ago) I did have a
/home/$USER dir and that is what I backed up.

4.  If the answer to number 3 is No.  Can I just
create a /home/$USER and copy my old /home/user there?

Thanks...