Cygwin for Government Use

Reini Urban rurban@x-ray.at
Thu Apr 1 04:23:00 GMT 2004

Corinna Vinschen schrieb:
> when reading http://cygwin.com/licensing.html, you will find that the
> licensing of Cygwin is pretty clear.
>
> Cygwin is Open Source, provided under the GNU Public License.
>
> That means basically, that all software linked against the Cygwin library
> is automatically Open Source as well.
>
> Two exception from this rule exist:
>
> - If your applications linked against the Cygwin library are only used
>   for youyr own internal purposes, you don't have to make the sources
>   public as well.

Well, what about the poor internal guys using it?
To my understanding these internal guys must get access to the sources
as well, even if it's a closed community. Every user must have access to
the sources. (unfortunately not the data processed by the app :)
If it's the army, microsoft interns or the general public (if used
publicly). Special contracts (see below) excluded.

That's why they pay obviously, because they don't want their internal
users have access to the sources. (Who knows. High security area.
Security by obfuscation obviously)

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/