Using authentication under Apache for Cygwin

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Tue Sep 30 00:21:00 GMT 2003

Now that Apache for Cygwin seems to work more reliably I have started
using it as my web server. However authentication (that was working with
Apache for Windows) broke. I'm wondering if this is an Apache for Cygwin
specific problem.

I used to have this implemented at the server level in the httpd.conf
file like so:

# Secure addbug form
<Directory "//sonscentral/users/adefaria/www/Internal/Release/addbug/">
    AuthName "permission to add a bug"
    AuthType Basic
    AuthUserFile /etc/apache/addbug_users
    Require valid-user
</Directory>

However that fails to work. The user is let in without being prompted
for a username/password. I've also tried using a .htaccess file:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "permission to add a bug"
AuthUserFile /etc/apache/addbug_users

Require valid-user

With the same non-success. I had cranked up the loglevel in the hopes
that something about the failure would be written to the logs but
nothing is. How can I debug/fix this? Does Apache for Cygwin do any
authentication at all?

Apache 1.3.24; Cygwin 1.5.4

===
I love defenseless animals, especially in a good gravy