does syslog works only for SYSTEM account on w2k?

Scott Bolte listS+cygwin@niss.com
Sun Sep 28 22:15:00 GMT 2003

It seems like cygwin syslog on w2k, both the logger command the
syslog(3) routine, works only for the SYSTEM account. Is that true?

I have a test script that uses logger. When I call it manually no messages
appear in the event log. When I turn it into a service, where it is invoked
with SYSTEM privileges, the test messages make it into the event log.

FYI: my goal is to interleave status messages from concurrently running
perl scripts into a single log file where the entries are sorted by
generation time. The NT event log will be fine, I can extract my
messages via a separate perl script, but I don't want to turn these
scripts into services

Here's my configuration and test information:
	- Cygwin DLL version 1.5.5-1
	- OS w2k SP4
	- environment variable CYGWIN=ntsec
	- test script (sltest.bat):

		@echo off
		echo  ---
		echo  ---
		echo  ---
		echo Running the syslog logger test
		D:\cygwin\bin\date
		D:\cygwin\bin\logger testing
		D:\cygwin\bin\id
		D:\cygwin\bin\printenv
		D:\cygwin\bin\sleep 5
		rem vim: fileformat=dos

	- Command to create the service:
		cygrunsrv --install sltest -p ~/sltest.bat --type auto
	- Command to start the service:
		cygrunsrv --start sltest

Btw, google searches, and searches of the cygwin archives, failed to enlighten
me wrt any SYSTEM constraint.

	Scott