ftp way quicker than cp?

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Sat Sep 27 20:18:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> You are not really measuring the time needed for "cp". You are
> measuring the overhead of SMB share access. Using ftp bypasses all
> this mechanism completely, and sends files directly over the network.
> Try comparing the time it takes to copy the file in Windows Explorer
> to the SMB share and to an FTP location -- you'll probably see the
> same results.

I was aware that there is SMB overhead - just didn't think it would be
that great!

(BTW: How exactly do you get the time command working in conjuntion with
a "copy the file in the Windows Explorer"! :-) )

> IOW, this is not really Cygwin-related.

This is true if such large overhead is only attributable to SMB.

===
I know you may think you know what I said, but I'm not sure that you
realize that what you think I said is not really what I meant.