ftp way quicker than cp?

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Sat Sep 27 18:22:00 GMT 2003

Ftp is orders of magnitude quicker than cp. Here's the situation.

File to copy: 25 Meg.
 From location: Santa Clara, USA.
To location: Shanghai, China
Network connection: Not really sure but both Santa Clara and Shanghai
are in the same NT domain.

I tried the following:

$ time ncftpput sons-cc Release 2.2.0.7.images.tar.gz
2.2.0.7.images.tar.gz:                                  25.99 MB   81.70
kB/s

real    5m34.187s
user    0m0.327s
sys     0m1.124s
$ time cp 2.2.0.7.images.tar.gz //sons-shanghai/users/ftp/release

real    133m39.290s
user    0m1.186s
sys     0m7.406s

Why such a huge difference! Had I thought that such a huge difference
would have occurred I would have switched to ftp long ago!
===
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.