papers

Igor Pechtchanski pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
Sat Sep 27 00:27:00 GMT 2003

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, David Christensen wrote:

> [snip]
> I prefer to download packages from the Internet and then install them.
> This requires running Cygwin Setup twice -- once to download the
> packages and a second time to install the packages.  There is also a
> third option for installing directly from the Internet, but having the
> packages on your hard drive can be useful from time to time.

FYI, "Install from Internet" is exactly the same as "Download from
Internet" and "Install from Local Directory".  The packages are saved in
the package cache regardless.

> [snip]
> As for manuals, I mostly use the Cygwin Bash shell.  Thus, "man" and
> "info" are what I use the most.  You may also find HTML documentation on
> the web and/or in the Cygwin installation tree (look under
> C:\cygwin\usr\doc\).

The HTML and other manuals for Cygwin itself are contained in the
"cygwin-doc" package, which is not in the "Base" category, so it will have
to be installed explicitly (by either selecting everything, or selecting
that individual package).  Once it's installed, it should add some Start
Menu links to the Cygwin documentation.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/