FYI: bladeenc - fairly easy port.

Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) garbage_collector@telia.com
Tue Sep 23 22:53:00 GMT 2003

> From: Gerrit P. Haase

> Hannu schrieb:
>
> > Approximate speed difference:
> >  -O2 runs 1.75x speed
> >  -O0 runs 0.75x speed (P2/450!)
> >  -O0: "All operations completed. Total encoding time: 00:47:46"
> >  -O2: "All operations completed. Total encoding time: 00:20:04"

As I did try this, I'll show it too... ;-P
--
-O3:

$ nice --adjustment=-20 bladeencO3 B5_SoLong.wav

BladeEnc 0.94.2    (c) Tord Jansson            Homepage:
http://bladeenc.mp3.no
===
BladeEnc is free software, distributed under the Lesser General Public
License.
See the file COPYING, BladeEnc's homepage or www.fsf.org for more details.

Files to encode: 1

Encoding:  B5_SoLong.wav
Input:     44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo.
Output:    128 kBit, stereo.

Completed. Encoding time: 00:01:34 (1.94X)
--
md5sum ok.

> I guess it will be faster when using a native Windows (non Cygwin based)
> version.  Is there also a Windows port available?

Is this to get a reference on the speed difference  "cygwin vs native"?

Hmm... it has no GUI, so it is "cmd" version, if anything :-)
(Though there seems to be separate gui frontends available)

All prebuilt binaries are from 2001.
Just as the source; it seems to have been stale since then.

Same P2/450 again - as always:
Encoding:  B5_SoLong.wav
Input:     44.1 kHz, 16 bit, stereo.
Output:    128 kBit, stereo.

Completed. Encoding time: 00:01:12 (2.54X)
--
The output is exactly the same amount of bytes.
But md5sums differ on three of the mp3's.

>  How fast is it compared with the Cygwin version?

Answer: Approximately 20-40% faster in "cmd native mode"

IMO the better "compatibility" with the other cygwin tools is worth more
than the extra speed. This of course reflects that I mostly encode my own LP
records, at most one per week. For archiving - and to be able to create CD
copies for my personal use. (I see the LP's as "collectors items" - i.e. I
use them as little as possible).

Hmm... As I looked for that prebuilt binary I found a DLL version of the
encoder. I wonder what difference it would make to have a cygwin "frontend"
based on that...
Well, I think I'll let that be a future project.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59?16.37'N, 17?12.60'E
-- UTC+01, DST -> UTC+02  --
--END OF MESSAGE--