Setup reinnstall cygwin and uw-imap-imapd packages

Mark Himsley mark@mdsh.com
Sun Sep 14 12:19:00 GMT 2003

I've just done an update of Cygwin using setup v2.340.2.5.

While setup was uninstalling uw-imap-imapd a pop-up appeared with the title
of "sh.exe" saying "The Dynamic link library cygwin1.dll coulc not be found
in specified path C:\cygwin\bin;.;C:\WINNT\system23..."

My hypothesis from reading the section of setup.log (attached) is that
since setup was updating cygwin and some other packages it had removed
cygwin1.dll and then it tried to uninstall uw-imap-imapd which has an
uninstall sh script which could not run because cygwin1.dll has already
been removed.

The uninstall of uw-imap-imapd tries to run /etc/preremove/uw-imap-imapd.sh
which removes sym links. The postinstall script replaces the links no
matter what so there is no harm done.

It appears that there is a logic problem if setup can remove cygwin1.dll
and then continue to try to run cygwin applications. If setup is to be
idiot proof then maybe this logic needs a little attention.

Thanks to everyone who is involved in creating and enhancing Cygwin. It is
a fantastic utility set which I have used since b19 and it is always
getting better!

--
Mark Himsley