compile X window application

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Sep 12 20:17:00 GMT 2003

At 11:18 AM 9/12/2003, Shigeyoshi Tsutsui you wrote:
>I installed cygwin using "setup.exe".
>The option I used is "install".
>But I could not compile by
>gcc -o target progam.c -lX11
>The error is "... ld: can not find -lX11"
>Before, I got answer it caused loss of path of libX11.a.
>But the file is not found in the system.
>
>Please someone help me!

Before posting, you should avail yourself of all resources at
cygwin.com.  You'd find everything you need there to answer this question.
To start, you can find any package that contains the file you're looking
for (in general) at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  In this case, enter
"libX11.a" and it will tell you what package you need to install to get
this file.  Also, you should keep in mind that the cygwin-xfree list is
the proper list for asking Cygwin X-specific questions.  You may want to
review <http://cygwin.com/lists.html> before posting subsequent messages,
so you're more certain you'll hit the right list the first time (not that
you didn't this time necessarily).  But use the lists as "last resorts",
when you can't find the information you need in the available documentation
or email archives.

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746