cygwin performance

Linda W. cygwin@tlinx.org
Wed Oct 22 21:39:00 GMT 2003

Pierre A. Humblet wrote:

>Christopher Faylor wrote:

----
    This may be something that would be a special case, but if I'm just
looking for
names -- why does it need to do a stat?  Or is that necessary to
determine if a name
is a directory?...(*ouch*)...But native WinXP find displays date/time
all the properties of the
files found -- and one can search on "oldness", size...etc -- so it must
be possible to get that
info w/o opening?  Or something else is causing a slowdown.  I mean do a
Windows find both
on a cold reboot and a 2nd pass (see differences attributable to cache),
then do same with
find command.  You'll see find takes alot longer in both cases though
both cases usually speed up.

    It's been a while, but I think if I did a win-find first followed by
a cyg-find, there was no cache
effect for cyg-find, but if I did cyg-find first, I believe there was a
cache effect speedup for winfind.

    It seemed like the cyg (gnu) find was looking for more information
than was needed (and that
wasn't pulled in by the win-find command.

>>>I believe that the major culprit is looking for executable files. If I have
>>>understood things correctly.
>>>
>>>$ mount -h | grep exe
>>> -x, --executable      treat all files under mount point as executables
>>> -E, --no-executable   treat all files under mount point as
>>>                       non-executables
>>> -X, --cygwin-executable   treat all files under mount point as
>>>                           cygwin executables
>>>

>AFAIK this applies only when (smb)ntsec isn't in effect. Correct me if I am wrong.

---
    FYI -- I'm not running with any smb mounted disks in my path and all
of my disks are FAT32.
Note: Sandra tests of file performance between FAT32 and NTFS on the
same disk show NTFS
running about 3x slower than FAT32 (was running benchmarks to compare
drive access speeds
using IDE/USB 2.0 and Firewire.  Clear winner was IDE (no surprise) with
Firewire suffering maybe a
4-5% drop, but USB 2.0...ran about 5 times slower (which was still 10x
faster than USB 1.1 tests).

linda