Cygwin/rsync Hang Problem Testing Results

Mark Thornton mark.p.thornton@ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 22 21:18:00 GMT 2003

Paul Thompson wrote:

> People of cygwin & rsync,
>
> I recently attempted to get cygwin and rsync working to solve a
> backup/mirroring need in my computer life. Well, as you might guess, I
> ran into a little but of trouble.
>
> Strangely enough, rsync seemed to be regularly hanging when I
> attempted to do a "get" (sycronize a remote to a local dir). Well,
> considering I want to automate this, that was not going to work. So I
> searched the web, mailing lists, etc, and came across all of the posts
> on the subject, but no solution.
>
> Then I stumbled across an idea - to test previous versions of rsync to
> if any of them worked better with cygwin. Here are the (hopefully
> helpful) results of those tests. I did three tests for each version of
> cygwin:

<snip>

> So, based on my testing, I would conclude that the infamous cygwin
> rsync hang bug was introduced somewhere in the coding for 2.4.6. As
> for myself, I plan to go ahead and just use version 2.4.0, as it is
> the most recent version of rsync that worked for all three tests. If I
> can be of any more help, including testing patches, please let me know.

I tried 2.4.0 and seemed to work for a while, but now with more
differences to transfer I have encountered the "connection reset by
peer" error with this version also. Perhaps the subsequent changes
didn't introduce the bug but merely changed the circumstances in which
it appears (very easy if it is threading related).

Regards,
Mark Thornton