OLOCA: YANALATEYHSMBSI pronounciation

La Monte H.P. Yarroll piggy@timesys.com
Wed Oct 22 17:44:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>Please don't send personal email with Cygwin questions and suggestions.
>All Cygwin-related correspondence should go to the main Cygwin list at
><cygwin at cygwin dot com>.

Noted.  I suggest you change the note at the bottom of
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/ soliciting Cygwin comments via personal email.

>More below.
>
>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, La Monte H.P. Yarroll wrote:
>

>>In http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#YANALATEYHSMBSI you wrote:
>>
>>"Don't try to pronounce it. Just... don't"
>>
>>Clearly a challenge if ever I heard one.  This is a remarkably simple
>>acronym to pronounce:
>>
>>YANA-LATEY(almost LADY)-HISSEM-BISSEE
>>

>Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>Well, let's see how well it bodes with the Cygwin community.  If it gets
>accepted, this might go into the OLOCA.  I wish you sent the original to
>the Cygwin list, so I could link to it in that case...  Oh, well.
>

>>IANAL, but I play a Linguist on television.
>>

>IANALBIPALOT?  Na-ah...
>	Igor

The original quote would be acronyminated(sic) BIPOOTV (But I Play One
On Television).

For those not mired in the history of US television of advertising: some
time in the late 70's or early 80's a major drug manufacturer hired a
soap opera star to endorse their product.  The add started "I am not a
doctor, but I play one on television...".