OpenGL and Cygwin

Andre Bleau bleau@igb.umontreal.ca
Mon Oct 20 14:58:00 GMT 2003

Suresh Venkatasubramanian wrote:

>Hi,
>   I apologize in advance if this duplicates questions already asked and
>answered: I have searched the cygwin/cygwin-apps mailing lists already,
>and there appears to be no clear answer, and most of the FAQs are a bit
>outdated.
>
>I have an opengl program that I wish to compile under the cygwin
>environment, but using NO mesa drivers, only the native windows drivers.
>This program uses GLU and GLUT, as well as opengl and nvidia extensions.
>
>Now I have downloaded the nvidia extensions headers, and am able to create
>object files correctly, after some experimenting (it appears that I need
>to use the -mno-cygwin flag to enable the _WIN32 macros).

Do "the nvidia extensions headers" you downloaded include gl.h ? If yes,
that could be your problem.

>However, I have severe problems when linking using g++ *.o -lglu32
>-lglut32 -lopengl32 (as per the /usr/doc/opengl*/README file).

/usr/doc/opengl*/README says:

Add -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32 to your link command (in that order).

>  Most of the
>stubs cannot be found. A sampling of the errors I get:
>

>....undefined reference to `_glTexParameterf@12`
>....undefined reference to`_glPixelStorei@8`
>
>A sign that I am probably missing some more basic libs is that I even get
>undefined references to __assert, as well as something mysterious called
>__imp__iob, which again looks like somethng unrelated to the opengl code I
>am compiling.
>
>I'd appreciate any help....

Try something simple, like compiling and linking the following example with
g++ -o helloGlut helloGlut.c -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32

and report _all_ and _exact_ error messages to this list (not to me!).

---------------------- helloGlut.c ----------------------------
#include <GL/glut.h>

void display_func()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutCreateWindow("Hello GLUT!");
glutDisplayFunc(display_func);
glutMainLoop();
return 0;
}

André Bleau, Cygwin's OpenGL package maintainer.

Please address all questions and problem reports about Cygwin's OpenGL
package to cygwin@cygwin.com .