Passwordless login with ssh

Andrew DeFaria ADeFaria@Salira.com
Fri Oct 17 03:07:00 GMT 2003

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>ssh -v (or -vvv) should tell you why the authorized_keys aren't accepted.
>It's possible the permissions are too lax on them.

This is ending up being the culprit. You see my home directory is on an
SMB share. Now I had set CYGWIN to "ntsec smbntsec" in the Windows
System Environment Variables so that services would see it and I thought
that that would propogate down to the shells. But alas our /etc/profile
explicitedly set CYGWIN to just "ntsec". With this setting my bash shell
could chmod 600 <file> all it wanted to but if <file> was on an SMB
share it would not change the mod bits! Changing /etc/profile to set
CYGWIN to "ntsec smbntsec" now allows me to chmod on SMB shares. After
setting the permissions correclty on the files in ~/.ssh ssh'ing works!

Now on to another problem. Perhaps this can't be done. As the user
adefaria I wish to ssh to another machine as another user (ccadmin) and
not be prompted with a password. Is this doable without "giving away the
farm" security-wise? To allow certain users the right to ssh as another
user without the need for a password?

Finally, I would like to ssh to my home machine without needing a
password. At work I'm adefaria, at home I'm Andrew. I wish to

$ hostname
adefaria
$ echo $USER
adefaria
$ ssh Andrew@<home>.com

and have my home machine set up to allow adefaria@adefaria to come in as
Andrew.
--
When something is "new and improved!". Which is it? If it's new, then
there has never been anything before it. If it's an improvement, then