Errors when trying to access /dev/null

Sandy Pyke spyke555@yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 16 11:47:00 GMT 2003

> I meant a C:\Cygwin\dev directory.  Such directory doesn't
> exist, right?

That's right. I've checked the entire HD and there is no dev to be found
from explorer. :)

> There's no error in it.  Did you try `ls -l /dev/null'?

See output1.txt, not sure if that's what you were expecting but does not
look like an error to my novice eyes.

> Otherwise, try the `ls > /dev/null' in bash again.

That still fails.

> If that still fails, try `bash -c "ls > /dev/null"'.

That fails telling me 'bash: line 1: /dev/null: No such file or directory'
See strace.txt for the results of the strace for that command.

> That's puzzeling.  I never saw a failure on using /dev/null before.

Yeah, gotta admit of all things I never thought 'null' would give me a
problem. Guess you can say I got a problem with nothing...

As I've mentioned, I have been able to get this working on another machine.
I took a backup of my cygwin directory there and dumped it on my machine
here at home where I'm having the problem. Everything seemed to work okay
except for null again. I'm starting to think my problem is in the windows
configuration of my machine.

I've installed a few development packages in the past such as Visual Studio
6, Visual Studio .NET, DJGPP, and a few DDK's. Thinking these might be
interfering I uninstalled them. No change. I also cleaned up the registry as
best I could to get rid of these programs completely and that made no
difference.

Guess I could format the old HD and start over with a fresh install, but
that seems a little radical... Or I may just replace the calls to /dev/null
in my configure script with something like /null and let it go to a file
instead. Let me know if you can think of anything else, and again thanks for
you help.

Sandy

---