merging mingw and cygwin

Christopher Faylor cgf-rcm@cygwin.com
Tue Oct 14 14:42:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:08:56AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Edward Peschko wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:19:08PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>[snip]
>>>Do not send me personal email about cygwin again.
>> [snip]
>>You hold the keys to some sort of power, the power to enter the
>>developer's list, the power to patch cygwin effectively.  For you to
>>issue a blanket statement that I am not to communicate to you about
>>cygwin and hence never to enter that list is a disabuse of power.
>>[snip]
>
>You don't get on the list by sending personal e-mail to the list
>maintainer -- you annoy the $#!% out of them that way.  There are
>mechanisms for subscribing to various lists, all of which are outlined
>on <http://cygwin.com/lists.html>.  Nowhere does it say that personal
>e-mail is one of them.

In Edward's defense (and just to demonstrate what a great guy I am), he
did follow the directions.  The problem was that he wanted to argue with
me when I mentioned that I didn't consider his plans to be
cygwin-developers worthy.  It was pretty obvious that his knowledge base
on cygwin and mingw was missing important bits and would benefit from
some distributed disabusement on the cygwin mailing list.  So I
(politely) referred him to that list, where he'd already started a
discussion.

Then he wanted to continue to argue, so I told him not to send me
personal email.

Then he sent me personal email again.  And you all saw the result.

So, say what you want but Edward followed the correct first step.  He
was just not successful in his attempt to join.  That happens from time
to time.

I don't know why he managed to follow the directions correctly for
cygwin-developers but still was dumbfounded to find that the cygwin
project is different from the perl5-porters project and used a
cygwin-patches list.  I had foolishly assumed that he already knew about
cygwin-patches when he sent the initial "please subscribe me" email to
cygwin-developers-owner.  And, it sure seemed like he was a long long
way away from ever submitting a patch.

Lapo does have the sense of this right.  I have no inclination to
personally engage people with their pet cygwin projects; especially
people who still have a lot of learning to do.  We set up the mailing
list so that we can all share the load of bringing "newbies" up to
speed.  I didn't sign on to be a personal tutor or, worse, a debater.

cgf