Bash wait indefinitely

Nicholas Wourms nwourms@myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 28 20:13:00 GMT 2003

news.gmane.org wrote:

> I'm running in concurrences 5 complex bash batch, and sometimes (2 times on
> 3) one or more (very rarely) batch stop to do something. I've put a lot of
> trace to see where is the problem, but seems rarely arrived at the same line
> of code.
>
> I've also tried to use strace tool, but strace hang rapidly.

For the last few weeks I've been experiencing the same, and the
offenders always seem to be either bash (not ash) or make.  It is
important to note that I track cygwin's CVS head, so I had chalked it up
to the on-going signal work.  I've found that running deep `make`s or
running the autotools in succession (such as in the case of triggering
the AM_MAINTAINER_MODE routines) often triggers this problem for me on
my Dual Athlon MP 2400+ Win2K box :-(.  I've been extremely busy working
on other things, I just grumble, kill the deadlocked process and its
children, then restart the parent.  Attempting to debug gdb/strace, as
you've discovered, is quite fruitless.

Cheers,
Nicholas