help with mod_auth_ntsec apache module

Paul Jansen vlaero@yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 26 07:06:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

I've done a fair bit of searching using google to find
smoe examples of how to use this module but I haven't
come up with anything that has helped me get things
fully working yet.

As per the included mod_auth_ntsec-1.7-1.README I have
added the following lines where appropriate into my
httpd.conf file:

LoadModule ntsec_auth_module
ib/apache/mod_auth_ntsec.dll

AddModule mod_auth_ntsec.c

The http server will start without complaining.
I've created the following directory and put this
alias into httpd.conf

    Alias /stuff/ "/var/www/htdocs/stuff/"
    <Directory "/var/www/htdocs/stuff">
      Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
      AllowOverride None
      AuthName "secure area"
      AuthType Basic
      Auth_ntsec On
      Auth_ntsec_Authorative On
      Require valid_user
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
     </Directory>

Putting the following into my local browser:
http://localhost/stuff/
brings up and authentication dialog.  I enter my
username and password but the dialog box comes back up
indicating that I should try again.
A quick check of the error_log shows this:

[Wed Nov 26 17:26:40 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
user myusername: authentication failure for "/stuff/"

I have made sure that the username is present in
/etc/passwd.
I've tried running the webserver as an unprivileged
user and as the administrator account but the results
are the same.  I'm using Windows 2000 SP4.
Here's the result of the 'uname --all' command.

CYGWIN_NT-5.0 COMPUTERNAME 1.5.5(0.94/3/2) 2003-09-20
16:31 i686 unknown unknown Cygwin

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?  Is there a
way to enable some more debugging?
Thanks in advance.

Paul