Problem reading from COM1

Robert Bon robo@dare.nl
Tue Nov 11 14:54:00 GMT 2003

Problem reading from COM1

Hello,

I have installed Cygwin on a windows98 computer.
I have a problem using the serial port. (COM1)
It is possible to write to COM1 but impossible to read from.

ls >com1
data is send and received

cat< com1
nothing is received.

I did several tests with different programs.
But nothing is received. (under cygwin)
A normal HyperTerminal on windows did work.
The stty command have the following settings.

$ stty -F /dev/com1
speed 9600 baud; line = 0;
<undef>;
flush = <undef>; min = 0; time = 0;
-cread
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

$ stty -F /dev/com1 cread
stty: /dev/com1: unable to perform all requested operations

Why CanÂ’t I read from the COM1?
Is it because I use windows 98?
Why canÂ’t stty set cread?

Thanks Robert Bon