setreuid: permission denied for sshd under non-system account

Paul Chorley paulch@rhetorical.com
Mon Nov 3 12:11:00 GMT 2003

Hi,

I have installed the cygwin port of openssh on a Win2k box and set up
passwordless authentication using .ssh/id_rsa and .ssh/authorized_hosts
in the normal way.  Everything works fine and I can ssh to the Windows
box without a password.  My problem arises when I change the user that
runs the sshd service.

Following Corrina's instructions, I set up a local user (sshsvc) as a
member of the Administrators group and have given that user the
following user rights:

Act as part of operating system.
Create a token object.
Replace a process level token.
Log on as a service.

After setting the ownership of the /etc/ssh*, /var/empty (when using
privaledge separation) and /var/log/sshd.log I can start the service.

With the client and server in debug mode I try to connect and  the
client appears to log in, but immediately logs back out again.  The
server log shows that a call to permanently_set_uid is followed by a
call to setreuid, which fails with 'permission denied'.

I guess that this is Windows refusing to allow the sshsvc user to switch
to the real user that i'm trying to log in as.
I was lead to believe from the docs and from Corinna's posts that the
user rights settings would have dealt with this problem, but they don't.

What am I doing wrong here?  Any help is appreciated.

Paul.