Complete install failure for 'ordinary' install on WinXp using setup.exe

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Fri May 23 02:27:00 GMT 2003

AWLaFramboise@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some kind of catastrophic install failure using
> current setup.exe (2.340.2.5) on Windows XP for what would
> seem to me to be an ordinary install.
>
> I have installed cygwin previously (but not within 6 months
> or so), so I deleted my old cygwin install first.

Please explain exactly what you did here.

> I downloaded the current setup.exe from the webpage a few
> days ago, and began downloading the full cygwin distribution
> using the 'Download from Internet' option, selecting the
> 'All' option instead of 'Default,' from the mirror
> ftp://mirror.averse.net (the first one I found that worked).
>
> After several download sessions (I interrupted the download
> a few times in between), I re-ran setup.exe with 'Install from
> Local Directory,' again with the 'All' option on the base
> catagory.
>
> Everything went fine, and all md5sums checked out, until
> postinstall.  All of these console windows flashed by,
> and it seemed every one of them I could read had all sorts
> of errors, such as missing ls, rm, etc.  Testing the Cygwin
> installation afterwards, it seemed to be unusable and
> pretty much completely broken.
>
> The setup program itself had reported no errors, other than
> whatever I saw in the postinstall console windows.
>
> C:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log seems ordinary enough: no
> errors are reported.
>
> However, one odd thing I notice by examining the installation
> is that I can't find ls.exe or rm.exe.  They are not
> in c:\bin, and no c:\usr\bin exists.

Should they be?  Setup will certainly warn you if you tell it
to install in C:\.  If you got no such warning, more than likely
you actually installed in a subdirectory of C:\.

> I have no idea where to begin on this.  Can someone
> help me out?

I suspect mount problems but I really can't be very sure of
anything without the appropriate information.  See
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>

Holliston, MA 01746