inetd/xinetd and uw-imap trouble [WinMe cygwin 1.3.22]

Abraham Backus abraham@backus.com
Wed May 14 18:49:00 GMT 2003

I've only tested the package under Windows 2000 (Pro) and XP (Home).  I
don't know if there are any special considerations with ME that may be
causing you problems.

In my experiences, I've also seen the uw-imapd process hang around after the
inetd service is stopped.  This happens to me when my mail reader is open.
I use Outlook Express and when I'm viewing the contents of a folder, this
will happen because the mail client is keeping the connection open to
monitor the folder.  So exit Netscape completely and any other programs that
may be accessing the mail server and then check if the uw-imapd processes
are still there.

Some other things to try when troubleshooting problems like the segfault:
1) telnet to the imap port and issue imap commands and see what happens
2) run uw-imapd directly from the cygwin shell and issue imap commands and
see what happens

Example of #1 (as a user, you issue the "001 LOGIN", "002 SELECT", and "003
LOGOUT" IMAP commands):
> telnet localhost 143
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] localhost
IMAP4rev1 2003.337 at Wed, 14 May 2003 10:25:22 -0700
001 LOGIN Abe <password>
001 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 IDLE NAMESPACE MAILBOX-REFERRALS BINARY SCAN
SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND] User Abe
authenticated
002 SELECT INBOX
* 168 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1052885042] UID validity status
* OK [UIDNEXT 12560] Predicted next UID
* FLAGS (NonJunk \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (NonJunk \* \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft \Seen)]
Permanent flags
* OK [UNSEEN 168] first unseen message in /var/mail/Abe
002 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT completed
003 LOGOUT
* BYE abackus-dell2 IMAP4rev1 server terminating connection
003 OK LOGOUT completed
Connection to host lost.

As an example of #2, simply follow the above, except you don't need to issue
the "001 LOGIN" command because you will be "pre-authenticated" since you
are running uw-imapd as a user, rather than as a system account.

I don't know how this works in your situation if inetd or xinetd isn't
running as the windows "system" account (is there one for ME?)

Also, to demonstrate the uw-imapd process still hanging around, follow the
example #1 above, but kill the inetd process/service before you issue
LOGOUT.  You will see that the uw-imapd process is still running and that
you aren't disconnected from your telnet session.  Once you issue LOGOUT,
you should be disconnected and the uw-imapd process should terminate.

-Abe