docbook xml toolchain

Patrick Eisenacher eisenacher@fillmore-labs.com
Mon May 12 14:25:00 GMT 2003

Andreas,

the rejects you attached state that the pdfxmltex format didn't make it
to fmtutil.cnf. This is exactly the error you get trying to create pdf
output from your xml source.

Ok, patch files are pretty easy to read. Do

man patch
man diff

to get info about them and the various formats. In short, a patch file
contains one or more patches. Each patch contains the line number and
length of the original version (-) and line number and length of the
patched version (+). This info is given in the line starting with @@.
The lines that follow are to be removed from the original (-) or added
to the original (+). Lines without a -/+ identifier are sheer context
information for readability purposes.

With this information at hand, you should be able to identify the proper
places in your version of fmtutil.cnf to patch by hand.

The .fo file you see is the intermediate format for pdf creation. It is
created by the default stylesheet processor (xsltproc for me). pdfxmltex
  takes this file as input for creating your pdf via tex.

There are other free fo processors out there that don't use tex for pdf
generation, eg fop. But all those free processors have limitations and
shortcomings. A problem they all have in common is the processing of
tables. And don't expect any fancy layout out of the box.

HTH,
Patrick

[snip]