bug w/ 'tar' implementation

Shankar Unni shankar@cotagesoft.com
Wed May 7 17:51:00 GMT 2003

Todd Gee wrote:

> prompt> tar cf D:/cygwin/home/user/foo.tar *
> tar: D\:/cygwin/home/user/foo.tar: Cannot open: I/O error

IAFNAB (It's a Feature, Not a Bug).

Tar explicitly documents that archive names of the format "x:y" are
treated as "path y on host x". So in your case, tar is trying to contact
a host called  "D", and failing.

Since this is cygwin tar we're talking about here, use the
/cygdrive/d/cygwin/home/user/foo.tar notation (or since, in your case,
this is Cygwin's own root, you'll be able to say just
"/home/user/foo.tar" and take advantage of the mount points).