Cygwin Newbie Question

rdamle@sbcglobal.net rdamle@sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 31 09:16:00 GMT 2003

Dave,

I am not sure if you got an answer to your Cygwin install question, but here
is what I did
when I was faced with the same problem a few weeks ago.

I was trying a fresh install of version 1.3.22.1 on a WinXP and Win2K
machine and noticed
that the /home/<username> directory was not formed as I had seen with
version 1.3.10.
To make it work, following are the changes I made to /etc/profile:

1.   Changed the line " if [ -z "$HOME" ] " to " if [ "$HOME" !=
"/home/$USER ] "
     Why?  --  I noticed that at $HOME was already defined to be "
/cygdrive/c " and hence
               the following mkdir " /home/$USER " never got executed.

2.   Changed the line " cp -a /etc/skel/. $HOME " to " cp -a
/etc/skel/default/. $HOME "
     Why?  --  The .bash_profile file is in " /etc/skel/default " directory
and not in
               " /etc/skel "

After making these changes, when I opened a cygwin window by bouble clicking
the Desktop
icon, the /home/<username> directory was formed and the .bash_profile file
was copied
into it. I then copied my .bashrc, .vimrc etc. to get on with business.
I suppose you may check for the existance of " /proc " and " /dev " and
create those
directories within " /etc/profile ".

I do not suggest these changes as a fix since I am not an Linux or Cygwin
expert. You may
use it if it helps you.

I had posted the same question a few weeks ago but did not get any reponses.

Raju Damle

> Hi, I have installed Cygwin a few times over the past couple of days. For
some reason, The /home > and /dev directory, and the environment
variables(eg. PATH)do not get set up properlly.

> When I use startxwin.bat at least the PATH variable is set up. Also for
some reason the .bash_history file is in my c:\
> directory, even though I installed cygwin in c:\cygwin.

> For now I have manually created the home directory and set the path.
> I would appreciate any pointers on how to have the installation go
smoothly/where it is possibly going wrong.