RPM-4.1 port to Cygwin available

Ronald Landheer-Cieslak ronald@landheer.com
Thu Mar 27 10:38:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Shankar Unni wrote:
> Yann Crausaz wrote:
> > The version of setup.exe I propose must be a bit old, isn't it ? If there's
> > a real interest, I'm OK to care about the latest version, but will poeple
> > really use RPM under Cygwin ?
> The real benefit to porting RPM or apt-get or whatever to Windows is as
> a possible replacement for the current installation system (if anyone
> considers RPM, and its associated GUIs, an improvement, that is).
I can see it now:
"I downloaded the abcdef RPM from my local LUG mirror and it didn't work -
why?"
.. umm.. Linux executable?

I really think it is a Good Thing to have a Windows application that has
no equivalent under *NIX take care of Cygwin installation - only a few
days ago someone tried to run what he called a "Standard Binary" (i.e. a
Linux executable) under Cygwin and I'm *sure* that will happen a *lot*
more often if we use one of the more-or-less standard installers from
Linux distributions to install our stuff..

rlc