vim quits and cygwin window contents not restored

Randall R Schulz rrschulz@cris.com
Tue Mar 25 16:01:00 GMT 2003

Larry,

At 07:18 2003-03-25, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
>Hi Randall,
>
>Oh it's a problem alright.  I'm just not sure the exact source and
>whether this functionality is in conflict with something else that 5.3-1
>was trying to fix.  I looked at the email archives for discussions
>surrounding terminfo and couldn't find anything current, except for
>Chuck's announcement and credit given to Thomas Dickey for some Cygwin
>terminal changes.  Hm, guess I should've checked cygwin-apps too.  OK,
>that's on my list.
>
>Your interpretation of "updating" and "reverting" below is correct.  It
>works for me with terminfo 5.2-3 and doesn't work with 5.3-1.  I'm using
>vim 6.1.300-1 in a cmd.exe window running bash (2.05b-8).

OK. So I guess we can consider the symptom confirmed.

Igor's right. We need a name for the windows that are created for
non-gui, character subsystem. Surely CMD.EXE is not involved in your
scenario (which is the one I routinely use, too). I think "console" is OK.

When Jurgen mentioned "top" in his report on the output anomalies in
"procps" I checked it for this symptom. It uses ncurses6 and also fails
to restore the window contents.

Randall Schulz