Building a win32 python extension from cygwin?

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Wed Mar 19 06:48:00 GMT 2003

Greg,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 04:56:49PM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>  >>  What is "installer"?
>
> A packaging solution that allows python apps to be deployed without
> having to deploy python itself.
>
> http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

Ah, it sounded familiar -- thanks for the refresher.

> My problem was that libpython2.2.dll could not be found in the specified path.

Please run cygcheck on your .exe (installation package) and post the
output.  For example:

    $ cygcheck foo.exe

> That does not make any sense because the exe was supposed to be self
> contained and not assume any pre-existing cygwin/python dlls.

Agreed, but the above indicates otherwise.

>  >>  Error messages?  Build command lines?
>
> =====  From a freshly started python (win32 IDLE)
> Python 2.2.2 (#37, Oct 14 2002, 17:02:34) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
> IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
>     import _librsync
> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

If _librsync is dependent on libpython2.2.dll, then the above error make
sense.

Jason