[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygwin-1.3.21-1

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Tue Mar 18 00:21:00 GMT 2003

Rolf Campbell wrote:
> Ok, had some time to look at this, but got stuck trying to get the DLL
> to build on my maching (never tried this before).  So, I downloaded the
> cygwin-1.3.21-1 src.  Is that package supposed to build OOTB?

Interesting question.

No one really cares about building from the cygwin source tarballs, because
they prefer to build from cvs, because building from source tarballs is
broken, because no one really cares about building from the cygwin source
tarballs, because they prefer to build from cvs, ...... and so on .....

> I ran "./configure"
> And then "make"
>
> tiswctype.c             ..linked
> twctrans.c              ..linked
> twctype.c               ..linked
> wctype.exp              ..linked
> configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in .. ./..
> make: *** [configure-target-newlib] Error 1

Hmm - it seems that configuring in the same directory as configure is
broken, because no one does that .... you get the idea.

OK, so:

tar jxvf cygwin-1.3.21-1-src.tar.bz2
mkdir build
cd build
../cygwin-1.3.21-1/configure
make

and, it breaks because winsup/w32api is missing. That's because that is the
w32api package, released seperately. So install that package in the relevant
place in the source tree? Well, no, because no released version of w32api is
sufficiently up-to-date to build cygwin 1.3.21-1. Ouch.

So, you should probably build from a cvs checkout. It will make your life
easier.

Max.