why is bash trying to access my DNS?

David Means dmeans@the-means.net
Tue Mar 4 05:20:00 GMT 2003

Proper hostname resolution should look in the hosts file before querying
DNS.  Try putting your hostname/ip address pair in your host file. I
don't recall if windows will look there first, though.  However, if
you're getting your IP address via DHCP, this isn't going to work for
you.

Seconly, why are you worried about outbound DNS?  Can you not configure
ZoneAlarm to trigger only on DNS targeted to your machine?  Certianly
you're not worried you or someone else on your SOHO network will hacking
a DNS server?