why is bash trying to access my DNS?

Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) lhall@rfk.com
Tue Mar 4 04:01:00 GMT 2003

Geoffrey Hausheer wrote:
> One more thing, I forgot to ask...
>
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 18:46:09 -0800, "Geoffrey Hausheer" said:
>
>>Thank you, this indeed is the issue, as can be seen from the very next
>>line after the wsock call:
>>5495150 5519336 [main] bash 1940 cygwin_gethostname: name Holly
>

> I don't suppose there is any way to prevent all of these hostname lookups
> (since they are obviously sommething somewhat recent)?
> For bash I can just tell ZoneAlarm to ignore it, and all is well, but
> since applications like vim seem to be doing the same thing  (and yes I
> removed \h from my PS1 line, just to be sure), the whole point of
> installing ssh (to get sshd working) has gone out the window since
> anytime I run a program that uses hostname, ZoneAlarm will complain on my
> local desktop, and my remote session will hang (Obviously, I could let
> all outgoing programs access the internet freely, but preventing that is
> half the reason I run ZoneAlarm in the first place)

Hm, I run Cygwin on the 5 machines I use and run ZoneAlarm on a
few of those as well.  I don't get complaints from ZoneAlarm about
any Cygwin programs.  Sounds like there's something different about
your networking setup, though I'm not sure what it is.  I know I didn't
configure anything special on any of my machines though.