sudo and runas

jon ewing jon@mediasurface.com
Mon Mar 3 20:41:00 GMT 2003

Hello,

Under XP (and maybe other Windows?) there's a command, runas, which when
used from cmd.exe or the Run dialog, can run applications as another
user:

C:\Cygwin>runas /user:Administrator C:\Cygwin\setup.exe
Enter the password for Administrator:

allows me to run Cygwin's setup as Administrator when logged in as any
user.

I was thinking of writing a sudo-type script using runas, but for some
reason can't get it to work at all under Cygwin - I tried running it
from Bash, cygstart-ing it, cmd.exe /C -ing it, but none of these seem
to work.

Anyone else tried doing this?

thanks,

jon.