Creating users and groups

Eric Benson eric_a_benson@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 03:08:00 GMT 2003

I'm working on a set of daemons that should run under their own user and
group id. I'd like to write a shell script that will create this user
and group. I'm using useradd and groupadd on Red Hat Linux, but those
don't seem to exist on Cygwin. Is there a recommended way to handle this
situation on Cygwin? I don't need setuid bits on files, but I want to be
able to chmod and chgrp files and su to the userid so that these
processes belong to the right user. I confess I don't really know much
about Windows. My programs pretend to live in a wholly Unix world. I
would hate to have to use a manual process in Windows to create this
user. Isn't there some way of doing this from a shell script?