resolving file access permissions...

Larry Hall cygwin-lh@cygwin.com
Fri Jun 13 17:52:00 GMT 2003

P.B. Dushkin wrote:

> hi. so, i have done a good deal of net searching pior to seeking
> email advice, i'd appreciate your feedback at this point...
>
> I have recently installed cygwin on W2K using CYGWIN=binmode ntea tty;
> It seems that ntsec is infinutely more useful for unix-like file
> directories but, from what i gather, it won't be much use to me on at
> FAT32 system.
>
> I gather, given my setup, that the "chmod NNN File" command is relatively
> useless. When I do attempt this approach, I get "Bad File Descriptor"
> returned. Any chmod command returns the same result. I am guessing that
> this might be due to the UNIX to DOS mapping features of cygwin but, if
> there is a way to make chmod work, i'd love to hear it (I have read
> the FAQ and still didn't find a good solution).
>
> I am learning my way around ACLs. The file i am trying to access
> is Hello.c. When i type ls -l I get -rw-r--r--. I have tried setfacl to
> change these values to something similar to "chmod 777". Everything i
> type has no effect:
>
> setfacl -m u:Peter Dushkin:rwx Hello.c
> setfacl -m u:(null or 544): Hello.c
> setfacl -s u:Peter Dushkin:rwx Hello.c
> setfacl -s u:(null or 544):rwx Hello.c
> setfacl -s u:544
> setfacl -m u:544... and so on
>
> The core of my questions are this:
>
> 1) am i right to be using ntea given my system 2) am i right that chmod
> won't work (and what is meant by "bad file descriptor" 3) Should i cange
> some values in either my passwd or group files that will make setfacl
> work? 4) If not, could you please describe an exact command that might
> do the trick... I see in the help file that the convention is: setfacl
> [-r] (-f ACLFILE | -s acl entries) FILE Is there an *actual* ACL file
> that I should be referencing in my commands and, if so, where is it
> located?

You're stuck between a rock and a hard place as they say, assuming you
plan to stick with FAT32 as your file system type (and that you're not
interested in supplying a patch to Cygwin ;-) )  You're right that
'ntsec' only works for NTFS.  Unfortunately, it's been determined that
'ntea' only works for FAT partitions from NT/W2K/XP.  It doesn't work
on FAT32.  This is a bug.

Sorry,

Holliston, MA 01746